Saturday, November 9, 2013

Why China?


 
I have had a lot of people ask me "why China?"

    Around 10 years ago I was watching The Oprah Show and it was about Chinese Orphanages.  The story was very heartbreaking to me.  A reporter had gone undercover into orphanages and recorded the horrific conditions.  The images have stuck with me to this day.  As I was watching the show I felt for the first time like I wanted to adopt from China.  I shared my heart with Jerimy and he was open to it.  
Then a few year later he and I went to a Steven Curtis Chapman concert.  This was before their terrible accident happened.  Steven spoke about adoption and it stirred up the desire even more in both of us.  Then a few years later, I read Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing To See"....If you haven't read that book you need to :).  This book confirmed my desire to adopt from China.
   Over the past few years we have been praying about this decision.  Our daughter, Hope had a vision one weekend in church about adopting from China.  She wrote us a letter describing what she saw.  Hope has always been a dreamer, the Lord speaks to her through visions and dreams.  She was very adamant for weeks that we had to adopt from China.  She asked us almost everyday.  Hope is also very determined :).  She kept asking us to pray about it.
    I began researching how to adopt and felt very overwhelmed with the information that I found.  I met with my friend from church who had adopted and she gave me some leads.  Jerimy felt like we needed to wait... it just wasn't the right time (this was about a year ago).  
Then this year after Easter when we went to Nashville, TN we found Steven Curtis Champan's ministry, Show Hope.  We went in and spoke with a lady and she guided us to CCAI Adoption Agency.  We finally felt released to move forward in the process. 

We just kicked off our T-shirt sale click here if you'd like to help us bring home a child

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing it is to be able to share this journey with your sweet family and learn a few things for my family along the way.

    ReplyDelete